Friday, March 14, 2014

Hard core swimming (Katie)

Matt and I are both feeling healthy this week.  Yay!  While he does his workouts with the TNT group and on his own at the downtown Y, I do some of my training with the Wichita Area Masters Swim club. 

Today our coach (Angie) gave us a timed 1000m swim with each 5th 50 being a non-free stroke.  Even though I will  never do backstroke in a triathlon (breaststroke is my recovery stroke of choice), I opted for backstroke because it allows me to breathe freely, stretch out my arms, and work opposing muscles from my freestyle.

Today, my teammate David was there, and since he's pretty competitive, we pushed each other on this timed event.  We started off fast, and we didn't let up--even on the "recovery" 50s.  I felt good and strong, and we both had fun stealing the lead back and forth from one another.  He's a stronger freestyler than me, but I am stronger at backstroke and breaststroke (I think we're about even in butterfly). 

Normally on long distance freestyle swims, he takes the lead and I can never get it back from him, but today we were neck and neck the whole way, which made both of us swim faster.  We finished in 17 minutes, 25 seconds. 

And that was just part of our 3000 meter workout today.  The hardest part.  But not the only part. 

Matt and I are looking forward to going for a swim with my dad tomorrow.  He swam in high school and college but hasn't been in the water for awhile.  After my mom got sick last year, he spent most of his free time with her in the hospital (his strength is amazing!).  Even though I know he's nervous about people seeing him in his swimsuit (he doesn't need to be), I think he's also excited about getting back into the water ... and even maybe swimming in the Sunflower Games this July in Topeka.

It's going to be a fun weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment